Re: Boot Debian to a command line and prevent X from starting on boot

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 02:05:00PM -0400, debian debian wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:25 AM, Robert Menes
> <viewtiful.icchan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks, I have a Debian lenny-stable install that I need a little
> > memory refresher with.
> >
> > I need to boot and go straight to a terminal, and not start X on
> > bootup. I know there was a
> > way of doing so, but I forgot (I'm a little rusty and need to not be rusty).
> >
> > Can someone tell me how to just boot and land on the command line,
> > bypassing X? Thanks!

> You could always boot into single user mode (add "single" or "s" to
> the kernel boot options)

Never having used an X login manager (only using startx), I don't know
if "single" works.  Therefore, if you find that you still get X, then
add init=/bin/sh to the kernel command line.

This will mean that init does not start, and therefore no initscripts
run.  You will have to mount your / drive (or manually run each
initscript in order with the "start" parameter) before you can edit any
files.

When done, you can exec init to get going again.

Doug.