Re: Samba

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Lynn Kilroy <phileksa@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...lengthy config file that has probably been created without
consulting man smb.conf and
http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/...]

> Logfile is actually missing.  I just looked for it.  Unless it's hidden or
> soemthing, which makes no sense at all.
>
> If there were errors, there would be a log file, correct?  And since there
> is no log file, we can assume there are no errors.

Why would it log if you don't tell samba to log something?

> This is the configuration file.  I copied it TO my Windows PC, and I can
> recover it FROM the Windows PC.  This means that the Windows PC and the
> Linux machine can communicate.  However, I can not log on to the Linux
> machine from the Windows PC.

log on to samba?

did you actually create a correct samba user?

> Okay, granted, I don't know C, and from the arrogance of most C programmers
> I've met, I don't think I want to learn it.  I mean, one shining example of
> your arrogance is that you guys keep making great defragglers, but
> forget one basic feature.  It's called "defragmenting large files."  You
> see, you can't defrag a large file without having a large contiguous block
> of space free for it.  But to get that, you have to, supposedly, fragment
> all other files.

you don't need any C skills to configure samba, I set up (with some
pre knowledge) a samba server that uses ldapsam just yesterday in a
couple of hours.

> So here you have it.  There are NO errors from Samba.  Samba sez everything
> is hunky dory.  Here is configuration file being used.  I've tried tweaking
> it, according to everything I can find.  I don't have much understanding of
> what's going on, what with all your tech talk in the how-tos without any
> real explaination of anything.

Alle the explanation is in the official documentation. Take your time
read it and create it on an evolutionairy basis.

Read: Make a simple config about 10 lines of config are enough to get
started, then go on to add whatever you need, test after each change,
if you do it the first time dpending on your targets I'd calculate up
to 2 full workdays until everything works as you like...

> For cripes sake!  I think I ought to make you all get some sleazies and
> slinkies and you need to get some dripping and waxing and press your asses
> against the wall you're so arrogant, sometimes!

Insulting doesn't quite help

> One last thing:  There is no manual page for smb.config.

really?

# dpkg -L samba-common|grep smb.conf|grep man
/usr/share/man/man5/smb.conf.5.gz

regards,
Martin

--
http://soup.alt.delete.co.at
http://www.xing.com/profile/Martin_Marcher

You are not free to read this message,
by doing so, you have violated my licence
and are required to urinate publicly. Thank you.