Re: Intro / Debian

Yes, so far the distribution works fine for me. One minor glitch I've
noticed. It is actively or rather pro-actively developed. :)

I got the five disc dvd set right after Feb. 14th, and already have a
few outdated libraries and programs. <chuckling> It is a very pleasant
surprise. Especially knowing I'm able to go into the coding and make
changes too, if needed.

Presently, using a shell script called wajig to assist in some package
admin. I find the Synaptic GUI a bit slow in downloading from the
internet. Of course, this may also be due to being on dial up.

Are there ways to improve dial up performance? Are they worth discussion
/ learning? Or are there other methods to locate and download packages
more effectively?

I use wvdial under gnome, letting gnome pass off to pon. Also found I
rather dislike KDE. It seems more resource intensive, and I know the
computer is fairly new and quite capable. Kicker seems to be a big nasty.

Gnome doesn't present many, if any problems of yet. Bash is good in the
shell. Still want to explore other shells. But it seems wise to stick
with the gnu standard for now. My goals ultimately resolve around being
universal.

Well, I've bent your electrons long enough for now. Back to my studies
and various work. Mowing the lawn later today. :) Oddly, I love to mow
the lawn. Poor man's golf. Run it slow everyone.

- Ben