Re: Samba

[please keep your replies to the list, so that others might help as well.]

Lynn Kilroy wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 13:16:27 +0200
>

> In my initial e-mail, the one asking about setting up a linux file
> server, I said explicitly that I wanted the sharing to be mutual
> between a Windows PC and a Linux PC.  I don't understand how I had
> three responses all saying Samba was this program if it is only to
> allow Linux to work with files on a Windows PC and not vice-versa.

Samba works both ways, as a client _and_ as a server. To log into your
linux is a different thing from copying files, though.

> There are two Windows PCs, and there are corresponding accounts for
> each of them.  According to the computer, as best as I can tell,
> Samba is in fact running.

How did you in fact check that? What is the output of 'smbstatus'?

>                           According to the docs, it can be used to
> allow Windows computers to talk to and read and write files on a
> Linux server.  However, everything they suggested and I tried {with
> appropriate mods for the network and all that} have consistently
> failed.

It seems you did something wrong. You better read the docs.

> The error may not necessarily be the Samba system.  If it is, I would
> imagine that, since Samba is so simple to setup, it would be
> immenently visible in the configuration file, plain as the nose on
> your face, if you will.

'testparm' checks the config for you. Please, read the docs.

> It could very well be something with the Windows PCs, and I'm running
> on the assumption you guys are familiar with setting up Samba to work
> as a file server with a Windows machine and might have an all around
> idea as to where to actually start looking for information.

If you need someone to set it up for you, you'd better look for a
contractor.

Several people have already pointed you to the documentation.

I forward the remainder of your mail untrimmed to d-u@d.o

Cheers,

Johannes