Can't disable touchpad tapping on HP Compaq 6715b

Howdy.

I installed Lenny some days ago and can't seem to find a way to disable
tapping on a HP Compaq 6715b touchpad (it's an Alps touchpad I think).
This is giving me great
headaches, I've already managed to accidentally "confirm" the deletion
of several files and "delete" some text in OO Writer. I'm at my wit's
end, fearing that a potentially disastrous dialog ("Confirm changes to
partition table?") will pop up someday
and I'll tap on OK while trying to scroll the pointer to the Cancel
button. The touchpad is extremely sensitive and it's almost impossible
to scroll the pointer for any length without inadvertently tapping it
at least a couple of times.

What I've tried:

editing the xorg.conf file "the old way". Copying snippets from the web
incorporating MaxTapTime "0" etc. At least a dozen different versions.
No go. Just restored the xorg.conf back to the original (which is
almost empty, by the way; apparently, everything's done via HAL
nowadays).

"The new way". Copying the HAL file from /usr/share/hal/fdi/
policy/20thirdparty... to
the
corresponding place in /etc/hal/fdi/policy...

Renaming the copied file from 11-x11-synaptics... to 99-x11-
synaptics...

Injecting the most various snippets of code floating on the web...

Everything in vain. Is there any sure-fire way to do this at all? Is
this laptop even supported in HAL? Anyone???

Anyone had any success in making this work (I mean, disabling tapping)
on THIS very machine, a Compaq 6715b, or a similar HP model?

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
Certifiable Loonix User 481801

--