Re: Testing cat-5 cables with Debian as opposed to cable tester?

> Not normally.  Your standard NIC does not have sensors for measuring such
> things and doesn't expose that information to the OS.

That's what I figured. But I figured if the NIC could give raw access
to the line then maybe something could be done in software.

> You might be able to estimate the quality of a network cable by transferring
> random data across it from one Debian host to another and measuring the
> speed.  (Or, probably better, the ratio of (packets dropped because of
> checksum failure) / (total packets sent)).

I could probably script that. It would be good for testing the router
as well. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com