Re: problems installing lenny on dell laptop

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 01:48:55 -0700, Don Raikes posted:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a blind user of lenny. I installed lenny using my braille display
> without a problem onto my gateway desktop system.
>
> However, when I boot the lenny dvd or cd on my dell latitude d600
> laptop, it is not recognizing the usb connection to either my external
> keyboard or braille display until well into the install process.
>
> Since the usb is not recognized, the installer does not give me a choice
> of a text-only install it only has the graphhical install.

> BTW: I had created a livecd from my lenny install on the desktop and it
> boots up fine with usb support at the appropriate point on the laptop.
>
> The remastersys-installer doesn't allow me to select the laptop's hard
> drive so I can't install from there.

On my D600 there is a BIOS option for USB emulation (USB keyboard, USB
mouse and USB floppy drive), on the BIOS setup which is reached by
pressing F2 while the laptop boots, it's on page 4 of the setup.

It might be worth trying to change that option and see if it makes a
difference. I can't say because I've never tried the D600 with a USB
keyboard, I installed with the laptop keyboard.