Re: question about term

On Mon,20.Apr.09, 21:24:19, Zhengquan Zhang wrote:
> Dear debian community,
>
> This problem has been puzzling me for quite a while.
>
> I use mlterm(a unicode terminal) to connect to servers. but when I
> launch mutt or top or something alike in it. It will fail and say
> Error opening terminal: mlterm.

Because the server does not "know" your terminal (terminfo and/or
termcap).

> Then if I do 'TERM=xterm' and it would work.

Because terminal emulators are *mostly* compatible to xterm.

> I was puzzled how the system detects which terminal I use and how it
> changes the TERM env variable. I would appreciate it if someone can
> explain to me a bit about this problem.

You already have a working solution from Sven, another one would be to
just install mlterm on all servers you connect to. This way they will
have the relevant info about your terminal and it will also ensure 100%
compatibility.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)