Re: Software raid OK?

Michael Iatrou wrote:
When the date was Monday 20 April 2009, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 03:29:00PM +0300, Michael Iatrou wrote:
When the date was Monday 20 April 2009, BAGI Akos wrote:
Hi List!

I installed a software raid, level1 with 3 disks, one of them is a
spare.

I have 2 partitions:
md0 is for / and is made of sda1,sdb1, sdc1
md1 is for swap and made of sda2,sdb2, sdc2
There is no particularly good reason to have the swap on RAID. You
should define three independed swap partitions; if disk fails, kernel
will use the other available.
If swap fails, what happens if something important to the running of the
system (not just a user app) is swapped-out?  I've seen advice on this
list many times that to avoid a crash, if other system stuff is on raid,
that swap should be as well.

I cannot confirm that; instead I am assuming a workflow like the following:

1. A disk is about to fail
2. Notification from SMART hits sysadmin's mailbox
3. # swapoff /dev/sdXY
4. Replace disk, create partitions
5. # swapon /dev/sdXY
6. # mdadm /dev/mdK -a /dev/sdXZ

Relying on S.M.A.R.T. is playing with atomic bombs. Put everything on redundant storage, even swap.

Mark Allums