Re: Switch from lenny-stable to squeeze-testing

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Mark McCorkell
<markmccorkell@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 08:52 -0400, Robert Menes wrote:
>> Hi folks, I've just installed Debian lenny-stable onto my Asus Eee PC
>> 10", and I'd like to
>> switch over from stable to squeeze-testing in order to make use of
>> more up to date apps
>> and KDE 4.2. I remember that you have to add a new repo, or I believe
>> point /etc/apt/sources.list
>> to the testing repos, but I'm not completely sure.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction? This is relatively easy
>> for me, but I just want to
>> be certain I'm pointing my sources to the right place. Thanks!
>>
>> --Robert
>> --
>
> You've pretty much got it. You need to change any references to lenny
> in /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the whatever repository you want.
>
> So a line like
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
>
> becomes
>
> deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
> Depending on your choice of repository some existing lines may have to
> be commented out, e.g. if you switch to unstable, lines referencing
> volatile.debian.org or security.debian.org aren't needed.
>
> It might also be an idea to add new lines for testing and keep the old
> lenny ones in place, just in case you have to install packages whose
> dependencies aren't yet complete in the new repository or to revert back
> to an older version (although this is more of an issue with unstable
> than with testing).
>
> After making the changes, a 'sudo apt-get update' will download package
> lists from the new repositories and 'sudo apt-get upgrade' or 'sudo
> apt-get dist-upgrade' will start the process. I'd recommend dist-upgrade
> when changing the main repositories.
>
> --
> Mark McCorkell <markmccorkell@tiscali.co.uk>

I'd recommend that this be handled the same as any other version
upgrade (eg etch->lenny)
1) First make sure that stable is up to date with all the latest updates.
2) Change sources as indicated above
3) Update your upgrade tools
# aptitude install apt dpkg aptitude
4) perform a safe upgrade first.