Re: Switch from lenny-stable to squeeze-testing

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 08:52 -0400, Robert Menes wrote:
> Hi folks, I've just installed Debian lenny-stable onto my Asus Eee PC
> 10", and I'd like to
> switch over from stable to squeeze-testing in order to make use of
> more up to date apps
> and KDE 4.2. I remember that you have to add a new repo, or I believe
> point /etc/apt/sources.list
> to the testing repos, but I'm not completely sure.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction? This is relatively easy
> for me, but I just want to
> be certain I'm pointing my sources to the right place. Thanks!
>
> --Robert
> --

You've pretty much got it. You need to change any references to lenny
in /etc/apt/sources.list to point to the whatever repository you want.

So a line like

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

becomes

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

Depending on your choice of repository some existing lines may have to
be commented out, e.g. if you switch to unstable, lines referencing
volatile.debian.org or security.debian.org aren't needed.

It might also be an idea to add new lines for testing and keep the old
lenny ones in place, just in case you have to install packages whose
dependencies aren't yet complete in the new repository or to revert back
to an older version (although this is more of an issue with unstable
than with testing).

After making the changes, a 'sudo apt-get update' will download package
lists from the new repositories and 'sudo apt-get upgrade' or 'sudo
apt-get dist-upgrade' will start the process. I'd recommend dist-upgrade
when changing the main repositories.

--
Mark McCorkell <markmccorkell@tiscali.co.uk>