Missing mountavfs after compiling avfs from Sid

Hello. I'm using Debian Etch, but I want the avfs package which is in Sid, so I downloaded the source from Sid and built it, but I can't mount the filesystem because the mountavfs command is missing.

The instructions in /usr/share/doc/avfs/README.avfs-fuse say to use the mountavfs command, but that command is missing from the avfs package. The only command installed is /usr/ftppass. I see this message shortly before the build completes:

> # Make install creates /usr/sbin but we don't need it.
> rmdir /home/user/download/fuse/avfs-0.9.8/debian/avfs/usr/sbin

I know that mountavfs is supposed to be in /usr/sbin because I checked it using apt-file; however, maybe the maintainer wants another method to be used to mount the filesystem. How do I get avfs working?

Here is my system information:
Debian 4.0
Linux 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-486
avfs 0.9.8