Re: Is it secure to use testing/backport repos for production server?

In <[🔎] 6b1504c40904180435j28f28b6er584addcefb0b6a5@mail.gmail.com>, Nuno
Magalhães wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 21:57, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
>> Upstream wants you to always be using the latest (stable) release.  Debian
>> policy is to not introduce new upstream versions during the lifetime of
>> the stable release.
>
>What about unstable? I've already had two packages who's latest
>unstable debian package is older (version number) than upstream's
>latest unstable. So why is it unstable?

Because it changes often and without warning.  However, there's no automated
process that goes from upstream's release tarballs to an unstable package; the
human maintainer(s) are responsible for that.

If you have a specific package in mind and it has been more than (roughly) a
week, you might file a bug or at least mail the maintainer.  If the package
has a good debian/watch file and the maintainer is following the package on
the PTS, they've already received one email.

New upstream releases can go in to unstable any time.  However, there are good
reasons a maintainer might decide not to upload to unstable during a freeze of
testing.  Depending on what transitions are going on in testing/unstable, a
maintainer might hold off so that the dependencies of the package settle.