Re: howto: downgrade lenny->sarge -or- fresh sarge install?

On 2009-04-18 11:35 +0200, tom campbell wrote:

> Seeking some guidance on how to get a sarge install up on a x86 desktop.
> There aren't any hardware issues, lenny installs fine from CD+net.

Just out of curiosity: do you intend to open a museum of modern
software, or why else do you want to install sarge?

> I tried booting from "debian-sarge-3.1-mini.iso (downloaded from sarge
> archive).  I manually adusted the mirrors to point to
> archive.debian.org/debian-archive.debian. and installer found the
> "Releases" file.
>
> When it hit the installer page of "which...? stable, unstable..." it
> couldn't find the files (presumably because directory structure changed
> when it was archived).  I couldn't find a way to manually tell it files
> to install.

The reason is probably that there aren't any {{old,,un}stable,testing}
symlinks on archive.debian.org; it would be unclear to which
distributions they should point anyway.

> I did a full of install of lenny (which is now up).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to:
> 	downgrade the running lenny  -or-
> 	how to install sarge directly?
>
> any pointers appreciated.

Your best bet is probably to set up a sarge chroot with debootstrap,
i.e. with the command

# debootstrap sarge ./sarge-chroot http://archive.debian.org/debian

If that works, you can chroot to that basic installation and install
more software.  Note that setting up fstab and networking, installing a
kernel and a bootloader still needs to be done if you want to boot into
sarge; and you need an extra partition then as well.

Sven