Re: Versioning control

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:22:00AM +0200, Adrian Chapela wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am preparing a versioning control. In my environment some of the
> clients are Windows PC. I have implemented the next Subversion +
> TortoiseSVN (for windows clients) + Eventum (for bug control, etc.).

If you have just one SVN repo, take a look at trac. Its main weakness is
the lack of bug dependencies. And of course, the lack of support for
more than one project (in a sane way).

> All
> work very well but I have a problem that I think it won't be resolved
> with any Versioning control.
>
> The problem is the next.
>
> User1 modifies file1 and file2.
> User2 modifies file3 and file4.
> file1, file2, file3 and file4 belong to the same repo.
>
> User2 has removed a function from file3 which is used by file1.
> User2 has tested all of his changes and all of them work well.
> User1 has tested all of his changes and all of them work well.
> User1 commits all of changes.
> User2 commits all of changes.

Two options:

1. User2 is a well-behaving user that remembers to update the local copy
before commiting. He then sees the merged changes and checks (in the
trac timeline ;-) ) what those were.

2. User2 is a lazy bastard who does not update the local copy before a
commit. User2's commit will then fail, telling him to update his local
copy.

(At this point he can simply commit. But then again, he could also
commit before the code passed his tests. We do asusme some procedures)