CircularScrolling stopped working with X 7.4

I'm migrating my settings from xorg.conf to hal due to the move to X 7.4.
Setting up vertical scrolling and circular scrolling seems to work except that
it is activated using all edges which is really annoying. I tried setting

        <merge key="input.x11_options.CircScrollTrigger" type="integer">2</merge>

in

/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/11-x11-synaptics.fdi

but it disables the touchpad altogether (as does any other value I give
CircScrollTrigger). Any idea on how to set it?

Thanks