Re: how can i turn /dev/null into an MTA?

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 10:13:58 am Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-04-14 15:33 +0200, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I did find a way to put a soft linked file in my local kmail
> > folders so I could get email sent to the administrator--this was
> > something like a hard link to the normal location of root's email
> > spool
> > (maybe /var/mail/root?).
>
> Well, for this to work you need an MTA that does local delivery
> anyway.

Well, there's a possibility I'm mistaken, but I was pretty sure that I
didn't have an MTA installed or configured.  Maybe my link was to
somewhere other than root's email spool--maybe it was to the (an?)
incoming mail spool?  (Some day, when I have more time and interest,
I'll try to reboot that system and double check.)

> > Why would somebody need an MTA for a (normal) desktop?
>
> Local delivery of messages from cron jobs is probably the most common
> case.  I would not like to dispense with that.

Thanks--even though I did get those, I rarely read them--only when
something went wrong and I went looking for the cause.

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.