Re: how can i turn /dev/null into an MTA?

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 09:08:41 am Dirk wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > Unix without an MTA???

To me, that's a wonderful idea--in fact, that's the way I ran my
Mandriva2006 system for the last 3 years.  I just used kmail like a
Windows mail client, receiving mail (directly (from my ISP)) using pop3
and sending mail (directly (to my ISP)) using SMTP.

I did find a way to put a soft linked file in my local kmail folders so
I could get email sent to the administrator--this was something like a
hard link to the normal location of root's email spool
(maybe /var/mail/root?).

Why would somebody need an MTA for a (normal) desktop?

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.