Re: Problems when audio capturing with headset

Hi, Florian.

On Sunday, 12 April 2009 19:32:27 +0200,
Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > I'm trying to test the operation of my headset in Debian GNU/Linux
> > Squeeze to be able to use it with a softphone. Although the sound
> > works with the rest of the applications with the headphone, in order
> > to listen what I say I must put practically the microphone grazing
> > the mouth :-S
>
> Just to be sure that I understand you correctly: You do hear your
> voice in the headphones but the volume is way too low, correct? Or do
> you suspect that the microphone is completely muted or broken?

I am not sure it is a problem of the microphone. What yes I can say is
that it must be closely together of my mouth to be able to listen to
me... as if it did not have the sufficient power of capture, to call it
somehow.

> [...]
>
> The kind of problem you are having is typically caused by low settings
> for the microphone in Capture, Playback or both (assuming there is no
> hardware mute button or microphone volume control on the device that
> has to be adjusted).

It only has volume control for the headphone.

> > I tried regulating several parameters in alsamixer but it did not
> > change to much the situation. Some idea of how being able to solve
> > it?
>
> Post the output of this, please:
>
> amixer scontrols | cut -d\' -f2 | grep -i mic | while read N; do amixer sget "$N"; done

# amixer scontrols | cut -d\' -f2 | grep -i mic | while read N; do amixer sget "$N"; done
Simple mixer control 'Front Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [12.00dB] [on]

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37