Strange timeout and DPMS behaviour in Lenny

My monitor timout and DPMS have been acting really wacky since I
upgraded to Lenny.  In X the screen blanking behaviour will often turn
off my monitor instead of just blank it, and then the DPMS will turn
it back on.  I have checked what xset says, and it says that the
monitor is on during blanking, even though it is off, but then it says
that it is off when it is actually on.  This means that DPMS will
never turn it off since it already thinks it is off.

I often use a button which runs 'xset DPMS force off' to immediately
blank the screen, but this doesn't work right either.  Instead it
momentarily turns it off, but the monitor comes back on after a few
seconds.  I had changed that to 'xset s activate' until I noticed that
it was coming back on after a while.

The following is a sample of what I have used to check it out:
$ xset s 15 dpms 0 0 30;sleep 20;xset q | grep Monitor;sleep 30;xset q | grep Monitor
  Monitor is On
  Monitor is Off

A similar example, but forced blanking:
$ sleep 1;xset s 15 dpms 0 0 30 s activate;sleep 20;xset q|grep Monitor;sleep 20;xset q|grep Monitor
  Monitor is On
  Monitor is Off

A test with forced dpms:
$ sleep 1;xset dpms force off;sleep 10;xset q|grep Monitor
  Monitor is Off

In all the above cases, the monitor was on when it said it was off,
and off when it said it was off.  In etch, everything worked as
expected.

Does anybody else notice this same problem, and if so where should I
report a bug?  I tried checking for bug reports on this, but I haven't
found any.

Thanks.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org