Re: Rsync Insists on Replacing Files

On Apr 12, 2009, at 7:42 PM, H.S. wrote:

Hal Vaughan wrote:

rsync -av server::Data /MacRAID/Data/ (Forgot if that one required the "/" at the end or not. Whichever I used, it did copy directly to that
directory without creating an extra subdirectory.)

$> rsync <option> /source/path /dest

will transfer the directory "path" into /dest directory on the remote
machine. You will contet /dest/path at the remote machine.

$> rsync <option> /source/path/ /dest

will transfer only the contents of the "path" directory to the remote
machine. You will get /dest/<contents of "path" of source machine>

The trailing slash matters only on the source specification.

Thus, with the trailing slash, the contents of the path directory are
transfered, and without it the directory itself is.

I was playing with that and did get used to it. Sometimes details like that are kind of hard to keep straight.

and it copied all the files from the RAID on the server to the RAID on my iMac. Of course they were different user names. In the past I used NIS on my LAN to keep user names the same. Now that I'm done with the setup, the data on the iMac RAID will change more often and the server
is essentially a back-up.

Today it was finally time to set up rsync to do regular backups from my
workstation to the server, so I tried:

rsync -avn /MacRAID/Data/ me@server:Data (Thanks to H.S. for that help
in another recent thread.)

Try the options -auvn

Search the man page for "-u" to see what it means.

I found -u and experimented with that, but was concerned about using that long term. (It didn't effect the files concerned except for 2-3 files that should have been replaced due to my tinkering.) When I looked it over carefully, I found that the problem was basically with my music directory, but it wasn't all the files, only the first 3 in MOST (not all) directories. My best guess is that some program I was experimenting with, like Amarok or iTunes (which has some serious failings) may have added meta-data to the early files in an album (since all my tracks have filenames starting with a track number, getting the first 3 files is a simple trick) or something else like that.

Since I was concerned -u would miss updates later, and since it was only 3 files per album (although that was still a lot), I finally just bit the bullet and let rsync do them (I tested a few first, just in case). It took a few hours (which gave me time to go out and work on my car), but it caught up finally and it's all behaving now. I've finally got the cron jobs in place so about every 6 hours my data on my iMac is backed up to the server. (Now if I could just get a good off-site backup setup that didn't cost a fortune!)

Thanks for the help!

Hal