Re: X and tty7

On 2009-04-12 13:49 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sun,12.Apr.09, 20:05:30, Miguel Obliviemo wrote:

>>> It depends on how you start X. Also (not what you asked for), but did
>>> you ever try 'screen'?
>>
>> Well, I asked, HOW does it depend on how you start X?  Gdm is starting
>> X.  I don't want to interfere with that, but I doubt if that has a lot
>> to do with it.
>
> Well, have a look at /usr/share/gdm/defaults.conf (but don't edit it) if
> you don't believe me ;)
>
> If I read the comments right gdm will allocate VT 7 to X11 (don't know
> what happens if VT 7 is already taken by getty or so).

I don't use gdm, but this behavior seems broken to me.  Why can't it
just use the first available VT by default, like the X server does by
itself?

> I would set 'FirstVT=24' in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and then edit /etc/inittab
> to add as many consoles as needed if this is what you want (personally
> I'd use screen instead).

I don't see any reason to populate these VTs at all if you don't need
them.  But starting X at a different VT that 7 may make sense, since
pressing Alt-F7 on a virtual console sometimes "leaks" the F7 key to
whatever application that has the focus in X.

Sven