Re: X and tty7

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Sun,12.Apr.09, 17:08:16, Miguel Obliviemo wrote:
How can the association between X11 and tty7 changed?  E.g. to tty24?

It depends on how you start X. Also (not what you asked for), but did
you ever try 'screen'?

Well, I asked, HOW does it depend on how you start X?  Gdm is starting
X.  I don't want to interfere with that, but I doubt if that has a lot
to do with it.

What I want to be able to do is alt-right arrow and get the next VT
and not almost immediately run into an obstacle.

This seems a peculiar limitation of Debian.

In Slackware, back in 1993, the maintainer pre-configured 6 or 7 VTs
and I don't think that has ever changed up to the present version.

Back then, and now, if you moved past the pre-configured VTs you
brought/bring up X11.  So at about tty7, in the default system, you go
into X11.

But you can add more, more getty lines in /etc/inittab, and if you do
that X11 gets out of your way. It is the same, you can right-arrow and
if you get to the end of the VTs you have configured you go into X11.
It just no longer comes in at tty7, you can have up to 10 or 20 VTs and
only at the end of them do you bring up X11.

That is no problem.  You can press Alt-F1 and Alt-left-arrow once and
you go into X11.

I can't see the point of an annoying limitation of Debian that has
never existed in Slackware since its earliest days.

I find it very convenient to have different VTs open for different
tasks and projects.  I can have several things on the go and go back
to where I was.

On a system that supports and does not obstruct that kind of use, I
mean.

--
Miguel