Re: Consolechars Question

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 08:57:36AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Start mutt like so:
> > chrisb@box:~$ LANG=C mutt
> > Once started, type !
> > then when you see "Shell command:" type:
> > echo $LANG
> > it should display:
>
> Ah-ha!  The response to echo $LANG is en_US.UTF-8 both before and after

Weird, indeed!, considering you should have started mutt like so:
chrisb@box:~$ LANG=C mutt

> I run consolechars -d.  But the problem is not just a mutt problem.  For
> example, the response to sensors is

I still wonder why you run "consolechars -d" as that OVERRIDES any
changes you make.

Obviously, starting mutt in that way only affects mutt.

Try starting mutt without the .muttrc file and try the above again.

> Since the problem is not very serious and easily corrected by the
> consolechars -d command I'll just live with it for now.  It is a
> curiosity and if I ever find out the cause I'll be sure to let you know.

So mutt DOES display correctly when you run "consolechars -d"?

There is something weird with your setup.
Have a look at http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/01/msg00236.html
and http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2008/01/msg00402.html

--
Chris.