create and share torrent with transmission bittorrent client

Greetings,

Is there some howto or walktrough about how to create and share
.torrent files with transmission client.
Some direct help would be even better.

I have some big files (to which I legally own the copyright, btw) I
wanted to share.
I did the following:

1. I put the files in a folder on my web server's root (so they would
be accessible via http too).
2. I made a .torrent file with Transmission
3 When asked about torrent tracker I entered http://thepiratebay.org/
(otherwise It wouldn't continue)
4. The resulting torrent file was on my www root.
5. Added the file to transmission and set the folder to www root.
Transmission showed it as downloaded and began seeding.

At this time I asked a friend to check if the file is accessible. It
wasn't. Should I upload something on the piratebay to get it working?