Re: xserver woes (ATI Radeon) after upgrade to xorg 1.7.4

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 13:46 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use two monitors with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 card on an amd64 system.
> I had this configured and running since last October using the
> proprietary ATI driver I downloaded myself.
>
> After upgrading (I run Debian/unstable) a few days ago, this broke.
>
> At first, the system came up in "screen clone" mode, rather than
> extending the desktop across both monitors.  I tried a few things with
> xorg.conf, eventually running "dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg"
> which results in a tiny config:
>
>     Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>     EndSection
>
> This made things worse (no graphics) so I finally removed the
> proprietary driver and reinstalled all xorg packages.  Now I
> do have graphics again.
>
> However, I still cannot get the desktop extended across both monitors.
> I can either get one monitor or a clone mode, but xrandr fails this
> command:
>
>     $ xrandr --output DVI-0 --left-of DVI-1
>     xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 2048x1600 (desired size 3200x1200)
>
> (Each monitor runs in 1600x1200 resolution)
>
> Has anyone run into this and solved it?
>

> I also fiddled around with installing the newest version of
> the proprietary drivers, but it requires 32-bit versions of
> libGL and such.  I didn't find these in the archive -- am I
> just overlooking them?
>
> Thanks,
> -Steve

You might need to add a Virtual line to your xorg.conf to allow it to
create a screen big enough to accomodate both your monitors.

Something along the lines of

SubSection "Display"
	Virtual 3200 1200
EndSubsection

added to the "Screen" section of xorg.conf might do the trick.

--
Mark McCorkell <markmccorkell@tiscali.co.uk>