cannot eject a DVD disc

Hello,

I inserted a DVD disc in to an extern DVD reader and now I am not able
to eject it.

The reader is a NEC external USB DVD reader/writer. It was working
perfectly till a few days ago and seems like an upgrade messed something up.

The disc in it is a re-writable DVD with some avi files on it and the
disc plays properly on a stand alone DVD player.

At present, there is an icon on my desktop called CDROM (wonder why it
doesn't say DVDROM?) and as far as I can see no application is using the
disc. The device, /dev/scd0, is mounted on /media/CDROM. Further, the
device is not being used:

$> lsof | grep -i cdr
$> lsof | grep -i scd0

Trying to unmount or eject gives an error:
Unfortunately, the device system:/media/scd0 (/dev/scd0) named 'CDROM'
and currently mounted at /media/CDROM could not be unmounted.
Unmounting failed due to the following error:
Device is Busy:

Trying to forcefully unmount also does not work:
$> sudo umount -f /media/CDROM/
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /media/CDROM: device is busy
umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /media/CDROM: device is busy

And I have this process running:
> ps uax | grep scd0
root     11717  0.0  0.0   3364  1116 ?        S    10:41   0:01
hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/scd0 (every 2 sec)

Nothing relevant appears to be syslog.

So those are all the clues I have so far. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

ever having been read.