Re: Advice on raid/lvm

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 7:34 AM, Kelly Harding <kelly.harding@gmail.com> wrote:

> Aiming to get a couple of 1Tb drives to migrate the 3x500Gb RAID5
> array to a RAID1 and use two of the 500Gb drives for thhe new boot
> drive with LVM (With /boot / /home and so on on it).

Before you do this, you may want to some serious investigation about
failure modes.

The article at http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=162 was just the
first example I looked at after searching for [raid 5 terabyte].

Essentially, with today's larger disks, the time it takes to do a
rebuild is sufficiently long enough that the risk of a second drive
failure during the rebuild is high enough to be troublesome.

mrc