Re: Advice on raid/lvm

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 03:34:57PM +0100, Kelly Harding (kelly.harding@gmail.com) wrote:

> My server has got debian on it currently in the following configuration:
>
> 250Gb boot drive with partitions for / /boot /home
> 3x500Gb drives in RAID5 array, with XFS on top directly.

> Aiming to get a couple of 1Tb drives to migrate the 3x500Gb RAID5
> array to a RAID1 and use two of the 500Gb drives for thhe new boot
> drive with LVM (With /boot / /home and so on on it).

So the new configuration will be 2x1TB + 2x500GB drives in RAID1
setup and one of the 500GB drives will be removed along with
the 250GB one, correct?

> Just wondering if theres any suggestions on how best to go about
> migrating like this? not really worried too much about downtime, as
> long as data is preserved.

It would've been much easier if you'd used LVM to begin with
and partitioned the drives with expansion in mind, but it
shouldn't be too hard anyway.

A few clarifying questions:

Is there some reason against putting /boot and / on the new TB
disks instead of the old ones?
Can you leave all six disks connected during the transition
or are you limited to four simultaneously connected disks?
How full is the XFS system presently on the RAID5?

--
Tapani Tarvainen