Re: Decrypt, Edit and Encrypt a File

Samuel Bächler wrote:
> Dear Everyone
>
> I store logins and passwords of some dozen of Web-Services in
> an encrypted file. I used to use kgpg to read and update this file.
>
> Some weeks ago I found on debian-security [1] the following script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> gpg keys.gpg > /dev/null
> emacs keys
> rm keys.gpg
> gpg -r "user-ID" -e keys
> rm keys
>
> What do you guys think is this approach reasonably secure? I like
> the script above because it is rather simple.
>
> Inputs will be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sämi
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2000/09/msg00023.html

As Alex mentioned, tools exist for both vim and emacs.

I have found this for vim (a vim plugin):
http://ry.ca/blog/2008/10/transparent-editing-of-gpg-encrypted-files-in-vim/

and installed easypg package for emacs. I am yet to play with them.

Do people who have experience in this have any comments or other
alternatives for vim and emacs?

Thanks.

ever having been read.