xsession customization

Hi,
just got annoyed and decided to issue this warning about the X server
structure and documentation getting more and more messy and
mysterious. there are tons of man pages about the labyrinthic way
various X configuration files in /etc/X11 work and communicate with
each other. however, they don't tell you how to do simple
customization tasks! how do I change my default x window manager? how
can one have x start a program, such as xscreensaver, globally (for
all users). man pages say, you can start them  in your ~/.xsession. I
thought X would just append my xsession to the system-wide one in
/etc/X11. worng! it only reads the ~/.xsession file and the desktop
environment (xfce4) doesn's load at all!

Khosrow