Re: Big Database Server General Question

On 2009-04-05 06:12, kj wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Proper system design obviates the need for the complexity of a distributed system. In an era of Quad Xeons and 32GB RAM. replication should only be needed for HA.
True, but for systems like the OP mentioned (google, wikipedia, etc), which use the database more for storage than computing, disc I/O is almost always the bottleneck. Replication often makes a lot of sense.

Of course, this requires competent designers
Absolutely. Sadly, I spend a great deal of my time trying to work miracles with the db to compensate for developers who don't know what they're doing and doesn't want to learn.

Argh.  Don't *even* get me started on that topic!!!

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer