Re: Problems with some web sites (tuning?)

Title: Re: Problems with some web sites (tuning?)

Carl Johnson wrote:
> owens@netptc.net writes:
>
>> ... The
>> timeout or "lockup" can indicate that the packets cannot be
>> reassembled at the destination (your computer) and the TCP protocol
>> times out waiting for one or more missing packets.
>
> That makes sense to me, but why is it only a very few web sites?  I
> haven't heard complaints about poor wikipedia access, so it appears
> that most other people don't have problems with that either.  One idea
> I thought of is that maybe they have very tight timeout limits, and
> since I am on dialup, I often exceed those limits and they then drop
> packets.

That theory seems reasonable--Google used to exhibit similar behavior.

When I was using PPP, if I posted a Google search when nothing was
going on on my network connection, it would work fine.  However, if I
submitted a search when some other connection was sending packets,
causing the packet to and from Google to take a couple of seconds, the
Google connection would time out.  Presumably they were trying to defend
against SYN flood attacks.  I wrote to Google and a couple of months
later the problem stopped happening.

> Any idea how I could trace something like dropped packets?

It might not be _dropped_ packets--it might be high packet latency.

Daniel
--
(Plain text sometimes corrupted to HTML "courtesy" of Microsoft Exchange.) [F]