Re: Problem accessing external usb drive in non superuser mode

[please don't cc. me.]

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 03:07:24 +0530
Divick Kishore <divick.kishore@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > But I don´t want to write to that disk, only read. I tried changing the
> > > entry in my fstab to ´ro´ but it is of no use. I still see the same
> > > permission issue. Not sure why is this happening.
> >
> > Well, you can't be surprised that you can't chown, since the filesystem
> > is RO, and if the permissions are wrong, than you won't be able to
> > access it without sudo, which you say works fine.  So what's left that
> > you don't understand?
>

> The thing that is confusing me is that isn´t there a way to mount the
> external disk such that it is ´read-only´ to other users as well so that
> users, apart from root can read if not write to this disk? If the root can
> access so should the other user.

IIUC, when you mount a disk, the permissions are that of the filesystem
on the disk.  If those permissions don't allow ordinary users access,
then you need to either change them, for which you'll need write
access, or live with accessing the disk as root.

Celejar