Re: Problem accessing external usb drive in non superuser mode

[Please don't reply to me personally, as per the list's code of
conduct.]

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 01:16:15 +0530
Divick Kishore <divick.kishore@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >     I have an external hard disk connected through usb, which though I am
> > > able to mount, but I am unable to access the drive without superuser
> > > privileges. Running mount command shows the following:
> > >
> > > /dev/sda1 on /mnt/maxtor type ntfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=divkis01)
> > >
> > > But when I try to access I see the following:
> > >
> > > $: ls /mnt/maxtor/
> > > ls: cannot open directory /mnt/maxtor/: Permission denied
> >
> > What does 'ls -l /mnt/maxtor' show?
>

> It also shows:
>
> ls: cannot open directory /mnt/maxtor/: Permission denied

'sudo ls -l /mnt/maxtor' ?

> > > I tried changing the owner but I see the following:
> > >
> > > $:sudo chown divkis01 /mnt/maxtor/
> > > chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/maxtor/': Read-only file system
> >
> > Well, it's apparently mounted read-only.  What does 'mount | grep
> > maxtor' show?  What is the exact command you're using to mount the disk?
>

> $: mount | grep maxtor
> /dev/sda1 on /mnt/maxtor type ntfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=divkis01)

Ah, so it's NTFS.  I'm not quite sure of the current state of linux NTFS
support, but according to this page, kernel support is RO, and you need
a separate utility for writing:

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php

> I had posted that earlier as well. MY fstab looks something like this:
>
> /dev/sda1    /mnt/maxtor     ntfs    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>
> and then I just do mount /mnt/maxtor

Celejar