Re: Question about get-selections

On Fri,27.Mar.09, 09:26:59, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I see you have a different search string than has been mentioned before.
> Is yours really what you use, or something typed from memory? The ones
> I have tried didn't seem to give correct results.

It was from memory, and I was even right ;)
Let me explain, it's very simple:

~i - select all installed packages
~M - select all automatically installed packages
 ! - 'not' logical operator

You are obviously not interested in 'not-installed' packages so the only
possible combinations are

!~M~i

or

~i!~M

which will have the same effect (yes, I tested). Because you run this
into a shell the pattern has to be between quotes as some of those
characters ("!" I think) have special meanings.

> In my original thinking, I was mentioning /etc/apt/, because I presumed
> it was a safe place to leave such information. I'm sure there is such a
> safe place, somewhere. You use ~/bak, which I might imitate, now that I
> am aware of it, even if /etc/apt/ is also a safe place.

Aware of? I just created it ;) My philosophy is "keep things at their
default settings as much as possible". This also involves not spreading
unnecessary files across the entire filesystem, /home is the place for
that.

> Now, the discussion has moved to how to query the packaging system to
> get the most useful file of information. I'm still not sure what the
> query string should be.

See above.

Regards,
Andrei