Question about get-selections

I'm setting up a nightly backup system for my computer. Of
course, I want to backup  /home/pec and /etc . but I don't think
there is any point in backing up all the wonderful Debian packages
that are stored in /var . I reason that if something were to
cause damage to the package collection in /var it would be much
better to download them again from a mirror than to use my own
backup, which is likely to be somewhat out of date, and may contain
a package that contains the bug that caused my problems.

But I think I would like to have a record of what packages were
actually installed. So I'm thinking of writing a script, to be run
nightly, that puts a fresh copy of my selections in /etc/apt, e.g.

# dpkg --get-selections >/etc/apt/selections

But my current plans are to have the backup system running from a
remote computer and coming in and grabbing the data over the ethernet.
So my question: Is one of the many scripts that are part of a standard
Debian system nightly backup already making a fresh daily copy of the
selections and stashing somewhere (perhaps in var?) ?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net