DVD Region Codes and Debian multimedia software

Hello.

As is shown by my signature, I am in Australia.

Some of the DVD's of movies that I want to buy, are apparently available only from amazon, USA or UK.

For whatever reason, multimedia DVD's have this horrid Region Code thing, apparently designed to stop Australian audiovisual DVD players from playing DVD's that are vavailable only from countries such as the USA or UK, that have Region Codes that are incompatible with DVD players for television sets.

From
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=502554 ,
Region 1 - USA and Canada
Region 2 - UK, Europe, Japan, South Africa and Middle East
Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Central and South America

Apparently, multimedia applications, such as Totem MPlayer, in Debian can play movies that are recorded on DVD's.

Are these movie players able to read and play DVD's from any and all Region Codes, or, are they limited to particular region codes?

I want to know that, before I start buying movies on DVD's from other Region Codes, so that I will not end up with movies on DVD's, that I cannot use.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale