Re: size problem of large file transfer over https

In <[🔎] gqgau4$e8k$1@ger.gmane.org>, H.S. wrote:
>Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> In <[🔎] gqg8ru$4j6$1@ger.gmane.org>, H.S. wrote:
>>> I have a large data tar file of 4.4 GB. I have made it available over
>>> https to be downloaded by the recipient. This is on a Debian Sid,
>>> 2.6.26 kernel and the partition is ext3.
>>>
>>> When the remote user clicks on that download link, his browser is
>>> showing the file size to be only around 130 MB. The client is a Windows
>>> XP machine where the drive is NTFS formatted.
>> It's probably not a problem with the Apache server.  Instead, it is
>> probably an issue with the Windows client.  The size reported by the
>> Apache server is probably overflowing a 32-bit unsigned integer.  I'm
>> pretty sure the NTFS supports 4.4G files, but that doesn't mean that
>> every client (or server) is prepared to see a size that large.
>>
>> If the Content-Length is correct, it is a problem client-side.  If the
>> Content-Length is incorrect, it is a problem server-side.
>I gave it a shot myself with my own machine using Iceape browser and I
>also see the size as around 132 MB. I am trying from a Debian Testing
>machine (ext3 partition).
>
>Here is the request I see if I try using wget:
>.
>HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>Length: 138256384 (132M) [application/x-tar]
>
>So something is messed with the server. How do I go about checking what?

I am also not an expert in Apache, so this is about as far as I can take
you.  You should probably scan the Apache documentation for options
pertaining to "big", "large", or "huge" files.  (Or perhaps they are more
technical and use the phrase 32-bit or >4G.)  While you are doing that I'd
hit an apache-specific list (and hope someone better versed replies here)
with your query.

If you don't get any (more) traction on the mailing lists and are fairly
sure your setup is correct, so ahead and file a bug (if one doesn't already
exist).