Re: Suspending and resuming compile process

Celejar wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:06:33 +0100
Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

Amit Uttamchandani:
Now, I am thinking of applying this to kernel compilation, etc. Is this
common practice? Do others do this as well?
I suspended while compiling kernels a few times already. I didn't even
bother to suspend the process. No problems so far. But I agree it takes
a while to gain confidence that this really works. :)

IANAE, but I really don't see why there should be any problem with this
sort of thing.  Compilation is a pure userspace and conceptually
simple (from a low-level, hardware standpoint, albeit technically quite
complicated from a higher level, algorithmic perspective) task, and I
don't know why there should be any more of a problem suspending and
resuming it than any other userspace process.

Just my $.02, and I may be completely wrong, in which case I do hope
someone will kindly correct me.

Celejar

Like you say, there's no real technical barrier to do doing this. I often do it, but some of my co-workers seem surprised and/or shocked by my actions. I think it boils down to the fact that during a compile there's generally a lot of very advanced-looking stuff scrolling quickly by, which gives people the impression that their computer is doing something highly complex and they'd better not interrupt it.

I imagine in reality the under-the-hood processes of a Linux system are much more intricate than a user-space compile, but because people don't actually _see_ them in action, they don't think twice about suspending/resuming them.

--
Mark.