File Sharing Problem

I wish to share or move files between two Debian systems on a LAN.  Each
can successfully ping the other using their system names, dragon and
phoenix.

I have gotten lost in the NFS-Root-Client-Mini-HOWTO which seems far
more elaborate than my needs.  From either system I only want to access
the files in the directory /data on the other system.

I have tried to copy the file I need with command on dragon:

dragon:~# spc phoenix:/data/filename /data
ssh: connection to host phoenix port 22: no route to host

Notes: I have edited hosts.allow on both systems to allow each other.
There are no entries in hosts.deny.  I have checked the output of
netstat -pln and find that neither is listening on port 22 so I tried

dragon:~# spc -P 22 phoenix:/data/filename /data
ssh: connection to host phoenix port 25: no route to host

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Tom