Re: Gateway P-7805u Any success - install & using debian on this laptop? Bios upgrade procedure?

Mark Goldshtein wrote:

a) AFAIR, Debian has a special mailing list fully deducated to
laptops. That may be more useful.

b) Try one of the Debian stable LiveCD, for example:
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.0-live/i386/iso-cd/debian-live-500-i386-gnome-desktop.iso

and that will give you almost exact look as if you work in already
installed system. If you will face a problem, that will be almost
exactly the same problem as if you face it with installed system. So,
basically, you have a chance to resolve possible upcoming problems
before you actually install the system.

The OP does not own the laptop in question yet.

Laura,

   You mentioning updating BIOS made me go take a look at how Lenovo
was doing it for my T-61..  The update was with a bootable CD I
downloaded from their site and everything went smoothly.. overall took
roughly about 5 minutes with the
download>burn>reboot>install>reboot>enjoying Debian..