Re: 64 vs 32 lenny

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 06:47:56PM -0500, Chris wrote:

> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 03:50:50PM -0700, prad wrote:
> > >
> > > i am running the 32bit version of lenny.
>
> Interesting... If one has 32-bit installed, is there some sort of
> upgrade / overwrite to the 64-bit version?

At present, i386 and amd64 are basically completely separate
architectures.  This means you'll need to install amd64 from
scratch, either dual-booting with or overwriting your existing
i386 installation.

In the future, with multiarch, things might get a bit more
flexible.

Since I built a new system (Core2 quad) which is a amd64 chip,
there really wasn't any benefit to not using a 64 bit operating
system, so I just installed amd64 Lenny on it.  If you really
need to run 32 bit programs, you can install compatibility
libraries or run a virtual 32bit i386 system in a chroot
(check out my schroot package for an easy way to do that).

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh