Kbarcode - dead? unusable in Lenny for business cards.

Hello,

I went looking for some software to create business cards.  Since I'm running
kde, I thought kbarcode would do.  In addition to a lot more, it claims it
can do simple business cards, and from the user interface it seems pretty
powerful.  The problem is that it is almost unusable under Lenny.

The about option shows that the version that comes with Lenny is almost 2
years old.  I suspect it no longer talks nicely to the X server.  The first
problem I encountered was that the mouse clicks don't do what I expected
(with the nvidia accelerated X server).  No resizing of text fields, no
moving of text areas, the invariable result of any mouse input was to pop
up the text area properties dialog.

Once in the properties dialog (in label editor, avery letter, 5371)

o clicking on the "align left" button leaves text justified and does not
  honor like breaks.
o reducing (or increasing) the font size doesn't take after "OK"

It appears that any change attempted in this window is ignored.

In the main display, the resizing or moving mouse actions almost invariably
bring up the properties dialog.  Multi-line text rarely shows in its entirety.

It has also crashed a few times.  The "About KBarcode" window says:
KBarcode Build: Oct 17 2007 23:00:09.  This seems to me to be the
cause of incompatibilities in the X protocol, libraries, etc...
Shouldn't the package be rebuilt for the new libraries and X server?

It is extremly aggravating.  Thinking that maybe this is an issue with the
nvidia X server, I also tried kbarcode on an old thinkpad 600E (neomagic
driver).  The mouse interaction was more predictable but the changes made
in the properties dialog were still ignored.

Is anybody using kbarcode in Lenny?  Has anyone seen these symptoms?
Is it time to file some bug reports?

Alternatively, what is the best application under Lenny to design and print
business cards?

Thanks.

A.