Re: Canon HV 20 camera and Debian (firewire)

Alex Samad a écrit :
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:49:00PM +0000, thveillon.debian wrote:
>> Peter Krefting a écrit :
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Do I need to do something special to get firewire up and running on a
>>> Debian (unstable) install?
>>>

> [snip]
>
>>> The camera works fine, I have connected it to my MacBook before, but
>>> since I am having problems with iMovie not coping with high-def video, I
>>> am trying out kdenlive instead, as suggested by a friend of mine.
>>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> "dvgrab" is in the "recommend" list for kdenlive, and it depends on all
>> the stuff you need to get IEEE1394 (firewire) to work I believe
>> (libraw1394, libavc1394). So maybe try installing this.
>
> last time I looked at doing this, if failed, because the 1394 modules
> had been disabled for security issues in the debian kernels.  you will
> need to build them manually and install them. It was a while ago that
> this was the problem
>
>> Otherwise do a search with:
>> aptitude search ~d1394
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> --

A while ago Debian kernel were defaulting to the new IEEE1394 stack,
which in my experience simply doesn't work :-( .
Since I roll my kernel I don't know if it's still the case, if so you'll
probably have to recompile the kernel to do anything useful with firewire.

I checked it seems to still be true:

Stock kernel

egrep -i ieee1394 /boot/config-2.6.28-1-amd64
# CONFIG_IEEE1394 is not set

egrep -i firewire /boot/config-2.6.28-1-amd64
# IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support
CONFIG_FIREWIRE=m
CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI=m
CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_FIREWIRE_SBP2=m
# CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_REMOTE_DMA is not set

My "working" kernel:

egrep -i ieee1394 /boot/config-$(uname -r)
CONFIG_IEEE1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=m
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_PCILYNX is not set
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2_PHYS_DMA=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394_ROM_ENTRY=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
CONFIG_IEEE1394_VIDEO1394=m
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_DV1394 is not set
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_VERBOSEDEBUG is not set

egrep -i firewire /boot/config-$(uname -r)
# IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support
# CONFIG_FIREWIRE is not set

So if it still doesn't work, you might want to look there.

Tom