Re: What's happening to my aptitude

On 2009-03-19 22:40 +0100, T o n g wrote:

> What does it mean that a repo is ignored with "Translation-en_US"?
>
> This is current status for my aptitude:
>
> $ aptitude update
> Hit http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca lenny Release.gpg
> Ign http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca lenny/main Translation-en_US
> Ign http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca lenny/contrib Translation-en_US
> Ign http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca lenny/non-free Translation-en_US
> Get:1 http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca unstable Release.gpg [197B]
> Ign http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca unstable/main Translation-en_US
> Ign http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca unstable/contrib Translation-en_US
> Ign http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca unstable/non-free Translation-en_US
> Hit http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca lenny Release
> Get:2 http://debian.mirror.rafal.ca unstable Release [77.8kB]
> Get:3 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [197B]
> Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Translation-en_US
> . . .

Your locale seems to be set to en_US, and apt tries to find translations
of the package descriptions, which do not exist.  I think you can avoid
this by putting a line with

APT::Acquire::Translation "none";

into /etc/apt/apt.conf.

> Then:
>
> $ apt-cache search lm_sensors
> collectd - statistics collection and monitoring daemon
> wmgtemp - Temperature sensor dockapp for Window Maker
> wmtemp - WM dock applet displaying lm_sensors temperature values
>
> $ apt-cache policy lm_sensors
> W: Unable to locate package lm_sensors
>
> See, Unable to locate package lm_sensors, what's wrong? All have been
> working fine before, and I didn't change anything.

Not even exchanging a hyphen for an underscore? ;-) The package is
called lm-sensors, not lm_sensors.  Underscores are not allowed in
package names.

Sven