Re: Kernel issues: booting from USB storage (Repost)

Quoth green at 2009-03-14 03:28...
Also, you may want to try using the Debian linux-image-2.6.24 package¹. I think it corresponds to 2.6.24.7, so if it works you should be able to install linux-source-2.6.24², patch that source with the realtime patches, and then use make-kpkg in the kernel-package package to build it. Then you can work with your config until you get it how you want it.

OK, looking good. I've installed the above package (actually gives me 2.6.24-6, very close to what I want,) it boots fine, THINKPAD_ACPI was already configured in and auto-loaded. It even found my horrible Intel 3945ABG card which is usually a real pig to get to work. It didn't work - complaining about something which I intepreted as a missing firmware package; but it found it, which is quite amazing!

As I don't use the realtime kernel for day-to-day stuff, I'll get all my regular stuff working first. It should then be a trivial exercise to copy the configured kernel source and patch it for the RT kernel.

Many thanks for everyone's help on this - I'm finally on my way!

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/
Blog/personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/