Re: Boot CD and terms of use

> If I were you I'd take a existing live CD you think is closest to what
> you need and modify that, learning the tools they use to build it also
> the way.
Okay, sounds sensible.

> This list is not a legal professional.  Your company needs to be asking
> these questions to a lawyer.
Of course not and I am aware of the fact that any advice given here wouldn't be "binding" anyway.

> IANAL and TINLA, but you will probably only need to provide source for
> software that appears on the image that was licensed to your company
> under the LGPL or GPL.  Those licenses give a number of options for how
> you can satisfy the requirement to provide source.
Well, as far as I know a "pointer" (e.g. hyper link) to the source is sufficient unless it's a modified version of the GPL'd product. Also, we could for example offer a download of all source DEBs from our customer zone as well. This is kind of pointless though, because it would make more sense to offer the tools (scripts) to create the image and have those tools use an existing installation of Etch or Lenny, for example.

> The image itself is generally not considered a derivative work of the
> tools used to build it, so you aren't constrained by their license.  The
> image is generally considered a "mere aggregation" of the software it
> contains so it as a whole is not covered by their licenses or vice-versa.
Oh, that's interesting. Guess I'll ask my boss to get a lawyer into this :)

Thanks for your comments,

// Oliver