Re: find least used packages

Hendrik Boom wrote:
Remove forgotten packages. If you have popularity-contest installed, you can use popcon-largest-unused to list the packages you do not use that occupy the most space. You can also use deborphan or debfoster to find obsolete packages (see Section 4.11, “Obsolete packages” ). Alternatively you can start aptitude in “visual mode” and find obsolete packages under “Obsolete and Locally Created Packages”.

Are these actually COMPLETELY unused packages? I had never used popcon, before, but I installed and ran it and it gave me a list of 233 packages. The largest of these, excluding my previous kernel, was libgl1-mesa-dri, which is recommended by xserver-xorg. Certainly, this is only a 'Recommends' and could be removed, but I would assume that it is actually being used by xserver-xorg and so, should not be at the top of a list of unused packages. Am I misunderstanding something, here?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com