RE: Measure "cp" Speed?

command?

Sadly, no one seems to want to give you a straight answer...

Try looking into the rsync command. If you read the man pages, there is
a --progress flag that you can use. This will tell you the stats as it
copies.
`rsync --progress /file/to/copy /destination/path`

If you read the man pages on rsync, there are a few other flags that
might work for better output depending on what you want/need.

As someone else pointed out, there is the time command as well, but it
will only give the time _after_ it has finished.
`time cp /file/to/copy /destination/path`

Lastly, if you do the copy within Gnome using Nautilus (and pretty sure
KDE has it to) it will show you the progress and time remaining. I don't
know what it uses on the backend to give these stats as I have never
looked into it.

Hope this helps.

Have fun!
~S~